Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Evolution By Alexis Rockman

The piece of art that most interested me at the Wexner Center was a piece by Alexis Rockman titled Evolution, 1992. This piece is constructed out of oil on wood and is 96 x 288 inches. While I was viewing this piece I was intrigued by all of the different types of life form in the picture. The denotation of this piece is hundreds of animals of all different species, extinct species and some species that are still here on earth today. However, when I took a closer look at the piece I started to feel very different about it, there is what looks like polluted water pouring into the water that all of the animals are living in and around. This gave me a feeling of sorrow for these animals. This feeling led me to the connotation of this art piece. I believe that the connotation is that all through the evolution of life, the human culture has been polluting the water and land that these very animals lived on and currently are living on. This polluting leads to extinction and suffering for many of these species. To me, I feel that Rockman is simply trying to show the damage and suffering that animals and nature go through because of the pollution by the human culture. The following artwork is the piece titled “Evolution” by Alexis Rockman:

1 comment:

  1. Alex,
    I really liked your description and analysis of Rockman's work. I think you hit all the major ideas and it showed good insight.
    Nice Job.

    ReplyDelete